Pages

Friday 11 May 2012

If Life Won't Wait, I Guess It's Up To Me

Date Written: May 8th, 2012
Date Posted: May 11th, 2012
Currently Listening To: Simple PlanWhen I’m Gone


There’s been something that’s been bugging me as of late.
I’ve been finding it really, really hard to write recently.

For one, school’s actually starting to stress me out a little. It’s May, and exams are starting to creep up, little by very little. But it’s still there, and I’ve got a play to practice for. I’ve got an essay that’s worth fifteen percent of my grade to write. Mock trials are going to be coming up in a few weeks, and if my friends from last semester are any indication, that’s going to be stressful stuff.
And it’s not just that; I don’t feel like writing anything.

It’s not that I’ve lost my passion for telling stories – it’s just that I can’t seem to put those words out on paper. And when I do, I think it’s absolutely terrible.
So when I got home from Writer’s Club today (another thing; we haven’t been very productive as of late, so that hasn’t been very helpful) and I suddenly had the urge to listen to the song When I’m Gone by Simple Plan. And while listening to it, there’s one bit that really stuck out to me that I never seemed to comprehend until now;

“Procrastination, running circles in my head/While you sit there contemplating/You wound up left for dead/Life is what happens/While you’re busy making your excuses/Another day, another casualty/And that won’t happen to me.”
As you can see, I’m procrastinating. I’ve made excuses for why I’m not writing. And I’ve just been sitting around, trying to figure out how to do this and that and whatnot, while other people are actually going out and trying to make their dreams come true.

I want to be one of those people making something of themselves. And therefore, I need to suck it up.
So what?

So what if I don’t like what I write? There’s editing for that.
So what if I don’t know everything I’m doing in my story? There’s editing for that, too.

So what if I have school work? I’ll actually do my homework at home, instead of doing most or some or a little at home and then saving the rest for lunch the next day. I bring Alchemy to school almost every day anyway. I might as well put her to use.
So what if I feel kind of stressed? I’m going to learn time management.

No more making excuses. I want to write, so I will write.
So time management for today:

1) Finish off my book for English class.
2) Try to get through that book from the girl at my school who is published.
3) Try to write something. Also, if possible, plan what I want to get accomplished on Friday (which is a day off school).
No more making excuses. I’ve got a book to finish by the 26th of June.

-          May :)

No comments:

Post a Comment